Jeffrey MacDonald

CIDAA Forum: Miscellaneous: Jeffrey MacDonald
By
Mike Keith on Sunday, October 9, 2005 - 10:51 am:

Not sure whether this is "news" or not but Court TV has as a section of their website about the MacDonald case. Here's the link:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/family/jmacdonald/1.html

By bill ivory on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 06:23 pm:

CBS "48 Hours" is taping a segment on the Macdonald case now. I know that its been done before several times. I'll let folks know the air date when I get it from the network.

By Richard C. on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 11:02 am:

The U.S. Parole Commission denied Dr. MacDonald's parole request. The next review will be in 2020. I guess they wanted to give him some lead time.

By Webservant on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 05:43 am:

This is no surprise:

On 15 Jun 05, the U.S. Parole Commission confirmed that it accepts the 10 May 05 recommendation from two hearing examiners to deny parole to Jeffrey MacDonald. His next reconsideration hearing will be in 2020... when MacDonald will be 76 years old.

By
Mike Keith on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 07:37 am:

According to the Raleigh paper...citing the AP out of Fayetteville...McDonald...according to the US Parole Commission...waived his parole hearing. He can "apply" again in May. His lawyer denied that he would not request parole at some point.

By Peter E. Kearns on Tuesday, February 8, 2005 - 03:43 pm:

MacDonald just requested in the last day or so that his Parole Hearing be delayed for 30 to 60 days. Looks like it may be about May 05 now but Parole Board has not yet set a new date.

By David Storck on Monday, January 31, 2005 - 04:18 pm:

I live close to the Federal Facility in Cumberland, MD. I called to see if I could attend the parole hearing and they advised they are expecting a full house. They stated there are others with a greater interest than a former CID Special Agent. I guess we'll read about it in the paper.

By Randy Upton on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 10:04 pm:

I thought that in order to be considered for parole, the potential parolee has to admit his guilt. It will be interesting to see how he handles the question of whether he committed the murders. I saw an interview where he said he was eligible for parole, however, he did not seek it because he would have to admit to committing the murders and he could not do that because he was innocent.

By Jerry Mattiaccio on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:02 pm:

Does anyone know if these hearings are open to the public at all? Most of my work is in civil litigation

By Rich Roberts on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 11:56 am:

Thanks Steve, good article. I'm glad I was not afraid to go to it. If he gets out, I wonder how long before he kills his new wife.

By Webservant on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 09:19 am:

"Click here," for recent Jeffrey McDonald news items courtesy of Google.

By Peter E. Kearns on Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 12:53 am:

MacDonald's parole hearing is currently scheduled for Mar 2, 05. He will be accompanied of course by his new wife-- aint that grand.

By Walt Yarnall on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 10:27 pm:

I wanted to review the article, but when I went to the site, I had to "register" with that trash newspaper. I refused to do so.

By Steven Knight on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 10:51 am:

This was posted in the Washington Post today (21 Jan 05), thought I'd pass it on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24880-2005Jan20.html

By Mike Dwyer on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 05:30 am:

I noticed on the CNN website this morning that Jeffrey MacDonald has filed for parole.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/01/17/jeffrey.macdonald.case.ap/index.html

Mike Dwyer

By bill ivory on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 05:07 pm:

Pete,

I cant find yours now. so Mine is the same as always. No change at all.ivoryw@6asg.army.mil

regarding the parole docs. the excerpt from the Govt shrink's report was great reading. He has found the true Jeff Macdonald.

By bill ivory on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 04:41 pm:

Pete,

I just finished reading the docs from the Parole hearing that Christina had posted. It looks like Bri did a fine job in his arguement. When Jeffy gets out in 2071, I'll be waiting for him with a wheelchair. I just wish they would put him into general population, and let Bubba have at him.

I'll send you my email separately

Bob,

I may not be able to two step very well, but I can handle the tequila real well. When last heard from, Dirty Kenny was a SGT with the Tampa PD Vice squad. "Those were the days"!!

By PeterEKearns on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 04:02 pm:

Bill Ivory-- Talked with Brian Murtagh and Bob Stevenson after MacDonald's parole hearing. All know the initial results-- no parole. Bill-- send me an email so I can get your correct email address now that you're stateside. Peter

By Bob Baker on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 06:51 pm:

Never served at Bragg and most certainly never had anything to do with this case, although I must have met 20,000 people who did. However, like Jerry, I have used the crime scene processing in this case at least a hundred times as a teaching example in how to properly process and treat a chaotic crime scene, preserve evidence, and document, document, document. All of you who were involved and really there...your professional conduct has been passed to hundreds of law enforcement officers over the past years...not a bad legacy...great work and many have never forgotten your dedication and sacrifice. And Bill Ivory...I actually worked a weapons deal with you and mini you -Kenny M-...in K-Town in the late 70's at some country western dance joint. You could not 2 step to save your A.. Deal never went down as planned, but must have taken a week to get all the tequila out of my system. Who knows, maybe it did go down and I just couldn't get off the floor...Peace my brothers.

By Ray Fenwick on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 08:35 am:

As a proud member of the Ft Bragg District, back in 1977-78, I was one of two evidence custodians at the time, Lon Pike was the other. Part of our duty was to go to McDonalds quarters, break the seal on the front door and, believe it or not, defrost the freezer. It had something to do with preserving the scene, although most of the other furniture had been removed. The kitchen, though still had drawings that his kids had done for him hanging on the walls. They were the little drawing that all small children do expressing their love for their daddy. I won't forget that and I hope noone else does. It's good to hear that this ••••••• will remain in jail for at least another 15 years. Ray Fenwick

By Mike Keith on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 07:37 pm:

According to the Raleigh News & Observer...parole denied...won't review again for 15 years...that would make him 76 I think...so I guess no honeymoon for him and the blushing bride...Yeah!

Paper reported that our US Attorney...Frank Whitney...was a witness/testified, etc...way to go Frank!

Mike Keith

By Bill Ivory on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 01:03 pm:

Pete,

Justice prevails

Bill

By PeteEKearns on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:13 am:

Bill Ivory-- nope haven't heard from 48 Hours show people but did hear from Bob Stevenson last night after the parole hearing. They denied his parole but still has to be reviewed by other members of the commission. Hope MacDonald rots and becomes a part of the cell... Peter E. Kearns

By Bill Ivory on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 01:10 pm:

Pete,

sorry to hear that Gladys isnt feeling well,. Give her my best.

Have you heard from CBS "48 Hrs" lately?

By Peter E. Kearns on Tuesday, May 3, 2005 - 06:02 am:

Bill Ivory-- I sure would like to be at the next meeting and stand with you and answer all the "crime scene experts" but will have to stay home as my wife isn't too good healthwise. But anyway glad to see you are back stateside and old MacyD is up for his parole hearing on 9 or 10 May-- you going???

By Chuck McNichols on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 06:50 am:

The following article is from The Washington Post, 21 Apr 05.

'Fatal Vision' Doctor's Parole Hearing Set

Former Army doctor Jeffrey R. MacDonald, convicted 26 years ago of the stabbing deaths of his pregnant wife and two daughters, has a parole hearing scheduled for May 10, according to the U.S. Parole Commission.

The hearing will be held on or near that date at the federal prison near Cumberland, Md., where MacDonald is incarcerated, a commission spokesman said. A decision would probably come three to four weeks later, he said.

The hearing will be closed to the public and news media, said MacDonald's wife, Kathryn, owner of a children's drama school in Laurel. MacDonald, 61, is serving three life sentences for the murders in February 1970 at the family's apartment at Fort Bragg, N.C. He has always maintained his innocence in the slayings of his wife, Colette, 26, and daughters Kimberley, 6, and Kristen, 2.

By Bill Ivory on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 10:56 am:

Jerry,

After being involved with CIDAA for a number of years, I took a break and went to Stuttgart for a tour as the Force Protection Program Manager. Its a great job and a lot of fun in between the panic situations.

Im very happy that you or anyone else got something out of that case. I've also used it as a teaching tool when I taught for CTC. That case was used as the main topic during the Crim Invest course, and Im sure the students appreciated it.

By Jerry Unruh on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 07:56 am:

Bill, first it is great to see you posting here! I just wanted you to know that I have used the Fort Bragg CIDís investigation of the MacDonald murder case as the classic example of good crime scene processing for years. I learned some of the details of the case from the ROI, some from talking to Bob Shaw at length about the case, and some from viewing the video produced by agents at Fort Bragg a year or so into the investigation. Of course, there was a mistake or two Ė there always is and always will be! The overall reason I love this case as the best example of how to do it right is that it the crime scene was so well documented that there was really no doubt in any reasonable personís mind that the evidence collected and the resultant analysis was irrefutable. I used it in several classes at the MP School and in college criminal investigation classes. You and your fellow CID Special Agents at Fort Bragg set a standard of excellence on the case that will be seldom equaled and may never be surpassed. My hat is still off to you Sir!

By Carl Bandy on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 11:49 am:

Bill, I was a Team Leader at Bragg in the late 70's and was able to review a small portion of the investigation file there (small because of the mass amount and limited time). What I read and saw was documentation that supports exactly what you stated. Of course it's easy in hind-sight for someone to say I would have capitalized that T or made that a small i, but who cares. From my limited knowledge, I feel that the sentences were not sufficient also. Long time since seeing you. I haven't looked in the gold book but I take it, you are no longer in Tucson? Where-ever, be safe. Carl B.

By Russ Hicks on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 08:22 am:

Right on Bill.....

By Dan White on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 10:46 pm:

Well said my friend -- well said!!

I don't post of this censored site anymore -- but in support of my dear old friend Bill Ivory -- I have made an exception.

By BILL IVORY on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 07:13 pm:

It's so strange that there is still interest in this case. I have lived with it for many years, along with Pete Kearns, who probably knows more about it than anyone still living. It was a back breaking case to work, and with self made experts on the case, not-with-standing, the crime scene and the whole case was worked with extreme professionalism. It's hard for me to see some of our fellow members who express knowledge about the case make uneducated statements about the conduct of either the crime scene, which was commented on by the FBI SAC from Greensboro, NC, as being the most thorough processing he has ever seen, or the follow up of the hundreds of investigative leads which took us all over the US.

Time and DNA will corroborate what we stated in 1970, and which was echoed by both the Federal Investigative Grand Jury, and the Federal Court when he was declared guilty of Murder-One for the death of his younger daughter and Murder-Two for the other three (including a 5.5 month old fetus). Three consecutive life sentences was too lenient for him.

To those with a difference of opinion on his guilt or innocence, I say this; Either study the case files or shut up. I'd be glad to debate anyone at the next CIDAA meeting; Hey Pete, want to join me?

By Peter E. Kearns on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 02:58 pm:

Best web sites for current (and past) news on the MacDonald case are found in ezboard's crime&justice site. Many links to sites with copies of Art 32, 79 trial and appeals and now DNA court info. There is a great link to a site with 3D recreations of the entire crime scene. I was the Ops Officer on the re-investigation of the MacDonald Murders and recommend the referenced sites to all CID Agents with an interest in the case. Peter E. Kearns

By Roy E. McCoy on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 12:15 am:

RE: Previous MSG by Mike Keith, September 4, 2004. Unable to locate Email Address in 2004, Membership Roster Book. Please send latest news from Raleigh News and Observer. Thank's. Roy

Webservant note: The 28 Aug 04 Raleigh News and Observer article about MacDonald is still available online by clicking here. (Hint - if the article does not appear and instead you get a page asking you to register with the paper, it is because you have been to that newspaper's website before... delete your web browser cookies and then try again... the article will load without asking you to register.) The Raleigh News and Observer main page is here.

By Calvin A. Wood on Sunday, September 19, 2004 - 08:55 am:

Webservant - Thanks for the service. The link was still active as of this posting, and I was able to access it and print it out in "printer friendly" format. The article also has a link to the MacDonald case web page, which is "Dedicated to Providing History and Updates on Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald and the MacDonald Case - A Wrongfully Convicted Man - An Egregious Miscarriage of Justice". Jerry - If you are interested in the article and want it for your training director, you are probably also interested in the web page.

I wasn't at Bragg at the time of the murders, but on my second tour in Korea before transferring to the CONARC Provost Marshal's Office as a CID Staff Officer working with Charlie Haas. But I believe that all of us with any history in CID should be interested in this case.

Best regards to all.

By Webservant on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:20 am:

Here is a link to an online news item about MacDonald's "DNA hopes." It is still available online as of 14 Sep 04.

By Jerry Mattiaccio on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:53 pm:

I still have a copy of the original CID/MacDonald video that was made back in the day.(although its quality has eroded over the years and I am trying to convert it to a DVD to preserve what's left) We use it for the Death Investigations portion of our eight week Private Investigators Course. The depth that the agents went into is captured by every student. Many of these students are current, soon to be retired or retired law enforcement. Some of them worked slug and mug all thier lives. More than one has said that if he/she ever gets killed, he hopes its on an army base so that it will be thoroughly investigated. Fred Bost did a lot to try and degrade the original CID investigation but failed in my mind. The article mentioned above/below is not available now. If possible I would like to have it for our training director. If you can email it to me I would be most appreciative.

By Mike Keith on Saturday, September 4, 2004 - 06:25 pm:

Jeffrey MacDonald case was in the Raleigh News and Observer on 8/28/04. Seems they may be getting close to results of the DNA testing he says will prove him innocent.

Has been 25 years since he was convicted and 34 years since the killings. Article says he's eligible for parole but refuses as he would have to admit guilt.

Anyway...here's the link to the article but I don't think it will work unless you subscribe to the Raleigh News and Observer:

http://archives.newsbank.com/ar-search/we/Archives/?p_action=doc&p_docnum=1

If it doesn't work...email me and I'll send it to you.

Add a Message

This is a public posting area where no password is needed. Enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address should be entered if you do not want the moderators to delete your posting.
Username:  
Password:
E-mail: